Allen Webster: Buyer’s Remorse?
As a member of the Dodgers’ organization, I was able to see Allen Webster pitch on multiple occasions. A quick summary would read like this: Webster was one of the most impressive pitching prospects I’ve seen for the first four innings of a baseball game. Then, the stuff fell off of a cliff and he was unable to recover.
Fast forward to this spring, and FanGraphs’ Dave Laurila took a trip to Fort Myers to cover the Red Sox in spring training. There, the talk of camp was Webster and how his already impressive stuff took a step forward. Then, the same sentiment was expressed by contacts in the industry as well. Entering 2013, Webster was one of the fastest risers in Minor League Baseball.
In Ottoneu, I added Webster for $3 after an opposing owner auctioned him. I was hoping he’d slip through the cracks for awhile longer, but I wasn’t about to let him go. I even threw him last Wednesday against Minnesota thinking he’d hold his own against a bad baseball team — especially after my plans to see him were foiled.
eight earned runs later and Webster is back in Triple-A, returning to Pawtucket with a 11.74 ERA. The wheels came off and now thousands of fantasy owners like myself are wondering what to do with him? Sounds to me like a buy low opportunity you should look to take advantage of.
Speaking of buy low opportunities, Adam Eaton is on the comeback trail after missing the first six weeks of the season. In ten games, he has posted a .081/.186/.135 triple slash line. Gerardo Parra and AJ Pollock have both been solid in Eaton’s absence, so I’m not sure of the timetable is for his return. Coming off an injury and struggling badly during a rehab assignment, will his value ever be lower? Remember, this was a guy expected to be the Diamondbacks lead off hitter for years to come.
25 Jan 2014 / Mike Newman /
1-On-1 ROTO Strategy Session
The Best Of RS
- Can Alex "Chi-Chi" Gonzalez Crack the Texas Rangers Opening Day Rotation?
- Fantasy Baseball Trade Deadline 101: A Former MLB GM’s Take
- Felix Hernandez and Solo Home Run Situations: A Blueprint For Longevity
- JR Graham: Is He Still An MLB Arm For The Atlanta Braves?
- Mason Williams: Is It Time To Label Him A Bust For The Yankees?
- Mike Newman's Top-50 Fantasy Baseball Prospects Scouted in 2014
- Nick Kingham Scouting Report (2014)
- Rangers Joey Gallo, Marlins Giancarlo Stanton And Strikeouts
- The ROTOscouting Baseball Podcast
- Top-10 Fantasy Baseball Prospects By Team
- Will Mike Moustakas Finally Put It Together Next Season?