Betting Against A Hunter
When surgery for Corey Hart was announced, a flurry of pieces about Mat Gamel‘s final chance hit the blogosphere. My first reaction was, “Really?” Now 27, hasn’t Gamel been given enough chances? This is a player who missed just about all of 2012 due to injury, plays below average defense and strikes out more than 30% of the time at the Major League level. Is it a nice story? Absolutely, but how many of these stories have happy endings? Before writing this, I checked out Bill James‘ projections for Gamel and lost my appetite. Another year, another few thousand fantasy owners about to be duped by a .287/.351/.473 triple slash projection.
After seeing Hunter Morris in Huntsville last August, I was surprised at his low rankings on Brewers prospect lists. Morris has flaws, but to rank outside of the top-10 in such a weak system was surprising. I don’t see him becoming an impact talent, but in deeper leagues, a peak of .250 with 22-25 home runs has value. In game action, Morris displayed loose hands and easy power. I suspect an inconsistent swing plane is what has resulted in strikeout concerns at the highest level. That, mixed with the low walk totals might be a bad mix.
After a breakout season in Double-A, Morris is more deserving of a shot than prospect followers are giving him credit for. Now 24, he’s at an age when solid regulars are surfacing at the Major League level. So why not Morris? I’ll be grabbing him on the cheap in leagues this spring. You might want to consider it too.
24 Jan 2014 / Mike Newman /
1-On-1 ROTO Strategy Session
The Best Of RS
- Can Alex "Chi-Chi" Gonzalez Crack the Texas Rangers Opening Day Rotation?
- Fantasy Baseball Trade Deadline 101: A Former MLB GM’s Take
- Felix Hernandez and Solo Home Run Situations: A Blueprint For Longevity
- JR Graham: Is He Still An MLB Arm For The Atlanta Braves?
- Mason Williams: Is It Time To Label Him A Bust For The Yankees?
- Mike Newman's Top-50 Fantasy Baseball Prospects Scouted in 2014
- Nick Kingham Scouting Report (2014)
- Rangers Joey Gallo, Marlins Giancarlo Stanton And Strikeouts
- The ROTOscouting Baseball Podcast
- Top-10 Fantasy Baseball Prospects By Team
- Will Mike Moustakas Finally Put It Together Next Season?