Buy Or Sell? Andrelton Simmons
Andrelton Simmons is ranked ______ among qualified MLB shortstops?
- Tied for 4th in HR
- 3rd in R
- Last in BABIP
If you answered all of the above, then you are correct. In 5×5 leagues, Simmons has been a sneaky-stellar contributor in two categories — even with an albatross of a BABIP.
Back in June, Ben Duronio of ROTOGraphs opined far too many owners were keeping the Braves shortstop. In single season leagues, I agree, but Simmons is a player to target in dynasty leagues where a player may be kept for years to come.
Additionally, Simmons gains even more value in 5×5 leagues. His lack of walks will lead to more official plate appearances and the counting stats which come with it.
24-hours ago, I had a deal in place to send Simmons in a package to acquire Joey Votto as a stretch run rental. I wound up pulling it off the table — mainly because of SImmons. Normalize his outrageously low BABIP and the batting average becomes respectable. The extra hits would yield more runs, RBI and home runs as well.
With less than bad luck, a .270 batting average with 15 home runs, 10 steals, 85 runs and 65 RBI would be possible.
In 2012, Rays Ben Zobrist was the only shortstop-eligible player to hit all of those plateaus and he is an extremely valuable fantasy player overall. But at 32, this is as good as Zobrist is going to get.
Simmons is just 23.
Baseball fans scoffed at Simmons’ debut because he was labeled an all glove, no hit shortstop by prospect writers who rinsed and repeated information from more credible sources. The result is a false consensus. I’ll be the first to admit to not scouting Simmons as a prospect, but I didn’t profess to being an expert in all things Andrelton either. Unfortunately, a number of writers did just that.
Should Simmons’ BABIP rebounds in 2014, he’ll be a valuable fantasy performer by 24. Remember, Nationals Ian Desmond had a slightly better debut at the same age, followed by a slightly better first full season. If Andrelton Simmons end up being a slightly worse fantasy performer than Desmond over the long haul, I’ll be frigging thrilled.
2 Feb 2014 / Mike Newman /
1-On-1 ROTO Strategy Session
The Best Of RS
- Can Alex "Chi-Chi" Gonzalez Crack the Texas Rangers Opening Day Rotation?
- Fantasy Baseball Trade Deadline 101: A Former MLB GM’s Take
- Felix Hernandez and Solo Home Run Situations: A Blueprint For Longevity
- JR Graham: Is He Still An MLB Arm For The Atlanta Braves?
- Mason Williams: Is It Time To Label Him A Bust For The Yankees?
- Mike Newman's Top-50 Fantasy Baseball Prospects Scouted in 2014
- Nick Kingham Scouting Report (2014)
- Rangers Joey Gallo, Marlins Giancarlo Stanton And Strikeouts
- The ROTOscouting Baseball Podcast
- Top-10 Fantasy Baseball Prospects By Team
- Will Mike Moustakas Finally Put It Together Next Season?