Daily Fantasy Baseball Diamonds: 5/14/14
Today, let’s jump right into ROTOscouting’s picks featuring four players primed to have big games at home. We’ll cover subscribers at catcher, third base, shortstop and in the outfield so Masahiro Tanaka, tonight’s top starter, can be used. Check back daily for more daily fantasy baseball picks and subscribe for less than $1 per week as we share our top plays throughout the season.
Khris Davis, OF, Brewers ($2,700)
In his career, Davis has a wRC+ of 205 at home versus LHP. The opposing pitcher, Francisco Liriano is struggling, chipping in an average of 7.8 daily points per start. the left-hander has allowed 62 walks and hits combined in just 42 2/3 innings pitched. It’s a great night to be on a three run home run from Davis as part of a strong daily fantasy baseball performance.
Trevor Plouffe, 3B, Twins ($2,900)
In 2013, Plouffe was better against lefties, posting a wRC+ of 128 both home and away. Meanwhile, Felix Doubront had a 4.87 xFIP on the road — dreadful. This year, the Red Sox lefty has been even worse, while Plouffe has been 34% better than league average against LHP at home. In general, 34% isn’t a great number, but I’m comfortable expecting a big game in daily fantasy baseball given the weak opponent.
Jason Castro, C, Astros ($3,000)
In 2013, Nick Tepesch posted a 4.84 ERA, a run higher than his xFIP. Given low-ish strikeout totals and more hits than innings pitched, Jason Castro and his wRC+ of 158 in 2013 is a great play. Even in a down 2014, Castro has still been a tick above league average against RHP. Tonight in daily fantasy baseball, I expect him to be productive against a right-hander fresh off a 126 pitch appearance.
Jonathan Villar, SS, Astros ($3,200)
Few players have crazier home/road splits than Villar. In 2013, he was 35-plus percent better than league average at home. In 2014, his wRC+ at home is a cool 188. Look for him to wreak havoc on the Rangers tonight on his way to being the top point scorer at the position.
Playing Tanaka In Daily Fantasy Baseball
In analyzing the pitching match ups, Tanaka is the only play to jump off the page. He should dominate a weak hitting Mets team and defeat Rafael Montero, a pitcher making his MLB debut. In daily fantasy baseball, it’s a perfect night to go by the book and scratch out a few 50/50 wins. Tanaka and sleepers will do just that.
14 May 2014 / Mike Newman /
1-On-1 ROTO Strategy Session
The Best Of RS
- Can Alex "Chi-Chi" Gonzalez Crack the Texas Rangers Opening Day Rotation?
- Fantasy Baseball Trade Deadline 101: A Former MLB GM’s Take
- Felix Hernandez and Solo Home Run Situations: A Blueprint For Longevity
- JR Graham: Is He Still An MLB Arm For The Atlanta Braves?
- Mason Williams: Is It Time To Label Him A Bust For The Yankees?
- Mike Newman's Top-50 Fantasy Baseball Prospects Scouted in 2014
- Nick Kingham Scouting Report (2014)
- Rangers Joey Gallo, Marlins Giancarlo Stanton And Strikeouts
- The ROTOscouting Baseball Podcast
- Top-10 Fantasy Baseball Prospects By Team
- Will Mike Moustakas Finally Put It Together Next Season?