ROTOscouting’s State Of The Scouting: 3/31-4/4
The MILB season has started and we have BIG plans for 2014! The radar gun, video camera and laptop are ready to go back to work. ROTOscouting’s goal is to publish a new scouting report Monday-Friday from our host of contributors. This week, we’ve been looking at schedules and planning scouting trips for April/May. A host of top-100 prospects will be within driving distance and I plan to see as many of them as possible. Read this “State of the Site” and keep up with the exciting things happening here.
- Chris and I are scouting Victor Sanchez, Jabari Blash and other Mariners/Dodgers Double-A prospects.
- Spencer is in Greensboro scouting Single-A Rangers, Marlins and Phillies players including J.P. Crawford, Jairo Beras, Travis Demerritte, Nomar Mazara and MORE!
- Jeff is watching college baseball, scouting Nathan Kirby who threw a no-hitter for the University of Virginia
In April alone, I’d like to make more overnight trips than in all of 2013. Memphis (Oscar Tavaras, Stephen Piscotty, Randall Grichuk) come to Nashville mid-month. Chris and I plan on scouting Rangers and Rockies prospect in Asheville (David Dahl, Raimel Tapia, Ryan McMahon and the Rangers guys mentioned earlier.) If weather cooperates, I might even skip out on the Double-A Mariners and head to Asheville for Sunday/Monday games including Rockies, Orioles and Pirates prospects (Josh Hart, Reese McGuire, etc., etc.).
Of course, this doesn’t happen without support. Traffic was great for a new site in March (Approx. 20,000 page views and 8,000 unique visitors), but subscriptions are what grease the wheels here at ROTOscouting. If just 2% of unique visitors subscribed, we’d be golden! Maybe you were waiting for baseball and scouting to return. Well, it’s here. Subscribe now, so we can budget for the 2014 season and see as much baseball as possible. If not, then share everything you read on the site. Last week Brian’s FAAB piece free agent pitchers set a ROTOscouting record for Facebook looks.
Daily Fantasy Baseball At ROTOscouting
Also, I began writing a daily fantasy baseball piece this week. It has been fun, but more time consuming than I anticipated. Why? Because I look at park factors, splits, pitching matchups and other advanced statistics to find bargain basement assets so you can afford a top starting pitcher, Mike Trout, or Miguel Cabrera. In week one, I hit on guys like Charlie Morton, Dexter Fowler and Marcus Semien. In essence, a weekly subscription of $1.49/week for our daily fantasy baseball content equals 7.5-10 hours of me grinding out the research on your behalf — even if you never open another piece at ROTOscouting
This week’s pieces include a number of MILB league previews including the Eastern League, International League, Pacific Coast League and Southern League. A Midwest League preview is in the queue, but our scouting schedules may keep us from finishing out the remaining leagues.
Brian and Mike B. continued their FAAB Top Targets series targeting the best fantasy baseball free agent acquisitions of the week.
I ranted about a Wall Street Journal Mets beat writer wanting the team to use Noah Syndergaard and Rafael Montero to round out the bullpen. Speaking of Mets, Joseph discussed Jeurys Familia as a candidate for their closer role (Bobby Parnell went down the next day).
Great things are happening at ROTOscouting and we’d love for you to be a part of it. If you are on the fence, give us a week to change your mind. For just $1.49, you can test drive our content and see if it’s worth supporting with your hard earned dollars.
5 Apr 2014 / Mike Newman /
Categories: Everything Else
1-On-1 ROTO Strategy Session
The Best Of RS
- Can Alex "Chi-Chi" Gonzalez Crack the Texas Rangers Opening Day Rotation?
- Fantasy Baseball Trade Deadline 101: A Former MLB GM’s Take
- Felix Hernandez and Solo Home Run Situations: A Blueprint For Longevity
- JR Graham: Is He Still An MLB Arm For The Atlanta Braves?
- Mason Williams: Is It Time To Label Him A Bust For The Yankees?
- Mike Newman's Top-50 Fantasy Baseball Prospects Scouted in 2014
- Nick Kingham Scouting Report (2014)
- Rangers Joey Gallo, Marlins Giancarlo Stanton And Strikeouts
- The ROTOscouting Baseball Podcast
- Top-10 Fantasy Baseball Prospects By Team
- Will Mike Moustakas Finally Put It Together Next Season?